8.27.2009

travel musings

it's no secret that air travel security has evolved dramatically post 9/11 and after the thwarted terrorist attack in the UK several summers ago.

i play the game ... i participate in airport security theater almost every week. i don't feel any safer since 9/11 ... and certainly not since the usa went to what seems to be a permanent orange status. but, i take off my shoes, segregate my electronics, put my laptop in its own tub and smoosh my less than 3-oz liquids into a quart sized baggie so i can go to work.

homeland security is the result of 9/11 ... a desperate attempt to regain control on a seemingly out of control situation ... but how did they forget about the about trains?

i recently rode the acela from boston to new york and then new york to philly a couple of days later. no one checked my government issued identification against my ticket ... i didn't pass through a metal detector ... i didn't segregate my liquids ... and i took all of my baggage onto the train with me.

am i the only one that sees how wide open this leaves us for another attack? if we're going to stage security theater, then we need to do it and do it right. or give up and realize that there is no absolute control to be had and that everyday we wake up alive is a gift?

No comments: