9.27.2007

brushing up on the old espanol

i've had two encounters with my housekeeper today (at the hotel, not the one at home.) She doesn't speak English ... well, she knows a few phrases, but not enough to communicate very well.

she knocked on the door at 8:00 am ish ... my room was void of a do not disturb sign, but i was about to leave so no biggie. i did ask her for a do not disturb sign for future use, but she didn't understand me. so i said, "no moleste" and used my fingers to draw a rectangle in the air. it worked! she handed me a sign and i was on my way.

well, apparently, she thought i didn't want service at all today ... as when i returned at 3:30 pm, my room was not made up. i really don't care, but i had a TON of trash to go ... so i called downstairs and they sent housekeeping up.

the same lady from this am showed up.

i told her, in English, that i didn't need much ... i just wanted the bed made, new towels and the trash emptied.

i got that blank look again.

so, i said, "basura, cama y toallas." and i was in business!

i am so going to work on my spanish. this was fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....I got the same blank stare from one of my kindergarten parents (Asian). Didn't understand a word I said, but she smiled and nodded. She wants to work in my classroom! Yikes!

my middle name is trouble. my last name is drama. said...

i couldn't fake an Asian language. what are you going to do?