1.16.2009

library

At thirty-five, I realize that I am a product of the 80s … “everything all the time,” to quote the Eagles. I am a consumer, a collector and a spender. But as the economy takes a dive, I have become to realize that there is more to life than stuff.

I quickly realized that I was spending upwards of $200 a month on books! I know I am a voracious reader, but $200? Typically, I only read these books once and then they’re off to collect dust on a bookshelf, be sold at a yard sale or donated to Friends of the Library. Not to mention how much paper I alone was wasting.


A couple of months ago, I got my first library card since I graduated from college in 1995. I was excited. I had missed the sereneness of the library. The mystery of the library. The mere system of the library. The library has rules and I’m a sucker for a good rule. I have no idea how I could have stayed away so long.

The best part of my library experience was learning just how up to date the libraries of Ventura County have become in my absence. Before my adventure at H.P. Wright Library in Ventura, I didn’t know that I could open an account on
www.vencolibrary.org, search, renew and reserve books, as well as be notified by email when my selected books are ready for pick-up at the library of my choice. Suddenly, every book in the Ventura County Library system was a keystroke away. I immediately updated my impression of the library. It is now much more than a card catalogue, microfiche and a date stamp. The library is part of the 21st century and I am elated that we are reacquainted.

No comments: