3.01.2006

jury duty

i have completed my civil service.
jury duty is over.

however, today's contestants were a FREAK SHOW!

present were the following people:
  • one chronic belcher (nice)
  • one chronic cougher ... who was projectile spitting
  • two snorers
  • a psycho sitting next to me who would NOT SHUT UP about her stupid art class
  • a knitter - who became an ex-knitter when they seized her knitting needles (don't even get me started on the knitting needles...)
  • a dvd watcher who didn't own headphones (and I can't use my cell phone in the waiting area because it might bother people???) i did lodge a complaint regarding the hypocrisy of "the rules"
  • a guy who yelled "gloom and despair" instead of present when called for the first, and only, panel. nice. really nice.

so we made it through lunch without one panel call.

then ... at 2:30 pm ... 50 people were called. yours truly was one of the lucky prospective jurors selected for a MISDEMEANOR CHARGE. fabulous waste of time, people. (thank goodness i remembered my new last name ... i was listening for my maiden name! oops!)

i was juror #2. i got to sit in the box and EVERYTHING!

notate the was.

i gave my riveting soliloquy regarding my name, where i work, what i do, etc. (i LOVE this part ... all about me!) ... and when asked if serving on said jury would constitute a hardship for me and / or my family, i replied, "no, your honor. my job would pay for me to be here. however, i do have a scheduling conflict regarding the 5 tradeshows in the next 3 weeks at which i have a leading role." i did stress that tradeshow scheduling is not done by me like a client meeting. being the reasonable man that he is, he concurred.

i then offered up my schedule and plane tickets, which were not accepted into evidence, total bummer, and with a "wow, you have a rough job," i was excused.

i am free, i don't have to worry about jury duty for another year, however, after hearing the charges and meeting the defendant, i really have to ask myself, could i have been fair? could i put aside everything i believe re: her charge and how wrong it is, how hurtful, and truly listen to the facts presented, denounce my own prejudices and offer a fair verdict? i really don't know.

i now have at least 12 months to ponder these questions ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool especially given your background!

my middle name is trouble. my last name is drama. said...

my background?? what do you mean?

Sweet Coalminer said...

All your misdemeanors?

my middle name is trouble. my last name is drama. said...

i have misdemeanors?

Anonymous said...

Space 164...need I say more!