5.16.2006

illinois tollway - take a lesson from the french!

so this is nice.

during my 36 hour trip to chicago i had to blow through two tollbooths. why, you might ask? because i didn't have enough change.

this is the most fucked up system i've ever seen. they're too cheap to person the booths so change may be made, nevermind the receipts needed for this businesswoman's expense report ... so they leave the booths unpersoned and THEY ONLY ACCEPT CHANGE. (note, you may purchase a "pass," but that is unavailable to use car renters - um, hello, AVIS & HERTZ - money making opportunity here) ... but i digress.

if you don't have change, you have to call a "violations" hotline. as if i have the time to fucking deal with this. so really, if this process takes me 30 minutes to "clear" myself, i'm really out several bucks plus the $1.60 in tolls. that's really nice. i'd let it go, but this one time, california tracked me down through hertz when i drove through the wrong lane on the golden gate bridge. they will find you.

so, listen up illinois ... take a lesson from the french ... tolls booths do not have to be personed, but put in a fucking credit card reader and receipt printer. it may be the midwest, but it's not the middle of fucking des moines.

2 comments:

Sweet Coalminer said...

We blew two tolls, too, but because we were too tired to see we were in the I Pass lane. I agree, it's totally fucked up. I'm sure it's great for commuters, but not for visitors.

(we have the envelope still in the bedroom and we did it like a month and a half ago to send in the GD two dollars.

my middle name is trouble. my last name is drama. said...

sweet - i just looked at their website and sent in my $$. i didn't know about the blue eps. until i got home.

the way i see it there are two solutions.

for car renters - get the f'in pass and bill the renters for the tolls.

for everyone else ... add it to my car registration. without penalty.

i have fast pass for socal. it is lovely.